|Poppy and DeNozo|
1. Start with a few Shetland sheep. Add green grass and sunshine.
2. Stir in some late summer apples.
|they love apples!|
3. Add generous amounts of hay during the long Maine winter.
|waiting for spring|
4. Shear in the springtime!
|DeNozo and Gibbs after shearing|
5. Gently wash the fleece by hand in buckets, spread out in the sun to dry.
|a good drying day|
6. Clean the fleece by picking and then carding into fluffy batts.
|drum carder ready to roll|
|batt weighing in|
|Stash of batts|
7. Spread out cotton fabric on a table, and layer the wool batts over the cotton.
|unbleached muslin & wool|
8. Lay the top fabric piece over the wool, measure and tie by hand.
|tying a small muslin lap quilt|
9. Finish the edges.
|I use a 1919 Singer treadle machine!|
10. Ready for a little nap!
|small muslin lap quilt, or "nap quilt"|